Executive Meeting Minutes

AGENDA

POW Exec meeting 2

12th January 2010

7:00 p.m. – 9 p.m.

Attendees: Neesh (Facilitator), Mel, Richard, Deb, Scott, Candice, Kat

Apologies: Delia

Location: Sabroso 2 Gamon Street Seddon (Corner of Charles & Gamon Street, SEDDON)

PcM related activities Attending PcM general meeting on 5/2/10

Mel (or Nyree) to attend 1/3/10

PcM related activities.

Action: need dates from PcM then discuss roster at next exec meeting.

Action: Secretary to keep PcM advised of events and workshops

Action: Secretary to send general meeting minutes to PcM

Action: Nyree, Deb and Mel to provide POW update for bimonthly PIE.

POW Roles Agreement for the following roles. 2 people to do each role with swap over 6 months through:

Convenor – Mel (Jul 09 – Dec 09), Scott (Jan10 – Jun 10)

Secretary – Deb (Jul 09 – Dec 09), Kat (Jan10 – Jun10)

Treasurer – Kat (Jul 09 – Dec 09), Deb (Jan 10 – Jun 10)

Events Co-ordinator-need to advertise at events, on website etc for events co-ordinator

Fundraising – Treasurer’s role. Candice to help out with fundraising role.

Mailing list Kat: has had feedback that people don’t have the time to read the weekly digest email. Kat believes there’s a gap in advertising events. Wants the website to have a new subscriber list and monthly newsletter of events. Deb expressed uncertainty about whether she can develop this and has to the time to develop this. Deb expressed reservation about spending more of her free time developing the website. The group recognises that Deb is doing this free of charge and on her own time.

Action: Deb to investigate developing a new monthly newsletter of events.

Action: Kat to write up proposal of what should be done with a monthly mailout – events, projects, meetings. Present proposal at next meeting

Action: Kat/De to take on how to personalise a monthly mailout

POW logo General discussion around logos. Decision was to leave off making a decision until after the group facilitation

Nyree volunteered Willie to help design the logo.

Scott: that Permaculture is more than gardening, so the logo should reflect this.

Project structure Discussion about the Project Structure (attached document-at bottom).

Kat: we need to harness the energy of the group, and ensure that the projects are aligned with POW values. Kat believes that the group should vote on whether to approve a project.

Action: Candice to develop a project template

Scott: need to include Occ Health & Safety considerations, and estimated costs.

Mel: core values are on the PcM website. This should inform the project framework.

Kat: Projects should be in the monthly mailout

De: should we have a project officer so that the convenor doesn’t get swamped

Kat: projects shouldn’t have to provide weekly updates. It should be at the monthly meetings

Mel: prefers a weekly update for those projects that run over long time frame.

Outcome: Projects is a work in progress. Further discussions required. Agenda item for next meeting

Strategic Meeting Vision with Jose Sunday 7th February starting at 11am. At De place. Please bring a dessert.
Other Business Maidstone Public Hall Action meeting at Angela’s house on 20th January.

Maidstone Community garden – we can have free access provided we work for half an hour or so.

Maribyrnong Council newsletter – want to do an article on POW. Nyree will provide text. Due 22nd Jan.

Action: Nyree to provide text for Maribyrnong Council newsletter by 22/01/10

La Trobe Uni are doing a study on localized food supply – Mel & Deb to follow up (Scott to provide)

Permaplaygroup – De to develop a philosophy

Pipemakers Park – Kat asks for people to email her if interested in being on the Pipemakers Park Horticultural subcommittee

Permablitzes – Nyree followed up with everyone who signed up for a permablitz at Mel’s in September. All have dropped out.

Action: Kat to email people who signed up at the festivals as they were interested in having a permablitz

Action: Nyree/Deb to develop a process for Permablitzes, including a statement of work

De’s permablitz- in 8 weeks time. Scott/Mel/Deb designers.

Brimbank festival – invited to have a stall and do a presentation. On 13th March. Candice to work with Mel.

Action: Mel to forward Brimbank Festival email to group

Candice: explain permablitzes on website. Advertise in Brimbank newsletter, Maribrynong letter, local newspaper, gardening groups.

Next meeting Next Executive meeting 20th April Location TBA

Next general meeting 24th February at Maidstone Community garden

9:00 p.m. Close meeting

List of projects going at the moment – to be added onto the website so interested people can help/join in.

Project Leader
Maidstone Market Garden proposal Kat
Pipemakers Park Horticultural Subcommittee Kat
Permaplaygroup De Chantal,
POW Brochure/Newsletter development Deb, Mel
Permablitzes Nyree

Projects in development

Project Scoper
Transition Town initiative Deb

Projects

We want to encourage people to run with their own projects. We don’t want to burden people with too much, but we need to make sure that we aren’t crossing paths, or have people go off and do things in the name of POW but not tell anyone.

To keep the lines of communication open, the following steps must be taken to get the POW stamp of approval, and how to keep POW members informed.

  1. Write a paragraph about what the project is about and send it to the POW convenor. It should answer these 6 questions 9must be forwarded to PcM):

What is the objective of the project?

How will the objective be met?

What planning is required ie does PcM need to be told for public liability reasons etc?

How many people need to be on the project?

Are there any specialist needs ie carpenter required etc?

How long do you think it may take to complete?

Answering these questions hopefully helps you to quantify what it is you want to achieve, and also help uncover links or similarities with what other projects are doing.

  1. The POW convenor will approve the project within 24 hours, or if there are questions, those questions will be asked within 24 hours. But until you get approval, please don’t proceed. At that time, a post will be put on the website to tell everyone of your project. This will also automatically go out on weekly newsletter, allowing you to get more people to help you out if needed.
  2. On approval, you can go off and do you project. If your project is less than a day or 2, on completion, please send an email or contact the POW convenor to say you’ve completed your project. This will then be posted onto the website.
  3. If your project will run over a week or more, you must provide a weekly update to the POW convenor.
  4. If you’re project requires you to contact an organisation, including PcM, you must contact the POW convenor to get the okay to do this. The reason behind this is that you’re a POW representative, and we need to present an organised face to the world. Sometimes we can get too enthusiastic, trying to achieve too much in a short time, or we can be contacting an organisation that another POW person has already contacted.
Meeting Description Responsible Status
12/01/10 need dates from PcM then discuss roster at next exec meeting Secretary (Kat)
12/01/10 Secretary to keep PcM advised of events and workshops Secretary (Kat)
12/01/10 Secretary to send general meeting minutes to PcM Secretary (Kat)
12/01/10 Nyree, Deb and Mel to provide POW update for bimonthly PIE Nyree, Mel, Deb
12/01/10 Deb to investigate developing a new monthly newsletter of events Deb
12/01/10 Kat to write up proposal of what should be done with a monthly mailout – events, projects, meetings. Present proposal at next meeting Kat
12/01/10 Kat/De Chantal to take on how to personalise a monthly mailout Kat/De Chantal
12/01/10 Candice to develop a project template Candice
12/01/10 Projects is a work in progress. Further discussions required. Agenda item for next meeting Secretary (Kat)
12/01/10 Maribyrnong Council newsletter – want to do an article on POW. Nyree will provide text. Due 22nd Jan Nyree
12/01/10 Permaplaygroup – De to develop a philosophy or how this is different to a normal playgroup so that other playgroups can take up the idea De Chantal
12/01/10 Kat to email people who signed up at the festivals as they were interested in having a permablitz Kat
12/01/10 Nyree/Deb to develop a process for Permablitzes, including a statement of work Nyree/Deb
12/01/10 Mel to forward Brimbank Festival email to group Mel